So after spell checking my blog entry, the first thing I did was go into the terminal and try to git push. That was wrong. Luckily, it didn’t work.
- The first useful thing I did was check my status
I was surprised to see my blog post was untracked, because I forgot I had to add it. I’m glad I checked, so
- I added it
myProjectDirectory>git add fileName
When I checked the status again, it was all staged and ready to commit, so
- I committed it
- my editor had me type in a message about what I changed, so I did that.
- Then I tried to push, and it didn’t work, because I had made a new branch locally and it didn’t exist in the repo yet, so I used the language it suggested and named the branch
myProjectDrectory>git push --set-upstream origin myBranch
Once I did that, it did some stuff and told me it was all good. So
- I went on GitHub and checked, and it said everything went through. I viewed the comparison between my new branch and master, and since everything looks right I created a pull request so that Chris will get notified that I changed a bunch of stuff on a new branch.
At this point I could merge the branch, but I am going to wait for feedback so that I can change the branch if I have more to do and merge it once the feature is really ready to go.
All told, this process took me about 3 to 4 hours. I’m going to write it off as a win since I learned so much. Git does not make intuitive sense to me yet, and I don’t think I have my head wrapped around it’s features yet, but it’s already obvious how powerful and useful it is. I’m excited to learn more.
Until next time,